Cervical ectopia, what is it?

Cervical ectopia, what is itMany people think that this is one and the same illness. And they are wrong. No wonder the prefix “pseudo” meaning “false.” In modern medicine, pseudo erosion is called ectopia.

You have probably read at least a dozen different articles about cervical erosion. Perhaps you have realized that it is the name for the defect of the mucous membrane in the form of the non-healing wound.

In the eroded zone there is no surface layer of epithelial cells. In contrast, the pseudo or ectopia is the appearance of the areas where mutated cells can grow. No, this is not cancer – ectopic areas are absolutely normal in terms of oncology, but they are different in structure. Outside the cervix is covered by stratified squamous epithelium, and within the cervical canal and the uterus there is columnar epithelium. When the columnar epithelium somehow “crawls” on the outer part of the cervix, it is called pseudo.

Erosion and pseudo during the inspection look exactly the same as a red spot on a pink background. Probably because of the resemblance they are very often confused. However, if you hold a colposcopy – examination of the cervix under high magnification – all at once will fall into place: erosion – no cells, ectopia – there are cells, but others.

Cervical ectopia, what is it?

Unlike erosion, pseudo-erosion can occur in girls who are not sexually active. It is considered less dangerous, so in some cases, doctors prefer to observe these patients. Often the stabilization of hormonal makes the ectopia disappear by itself. However, if it occupies a large area or causes any suspicions, burning is conducted – and on the treated area grows perfectly normal squamous epithelium.

Types of pseudo

Or stage of erosion are distinguished on several grounds.

By origin:

  • congenital;
  • traumatic;
  • dishormonal.

By type of epithelial proliferation:

  • glandular;
  • papillary;
  • with squamous cell metaplasia.

According to the dynamics of development:

  • progressive;
  • fixed;
  • healing.

The most dangerous type is progressive ectopia, because it can cause the formation of cysts in the uterus. It is also exposed to disease infection, which can lead to serious complications. In addition, the pseudo can occur in pregnant women as a consequence of hormonal background.

Symptoms of cervical ectopia

As usual erosion, pseudo has almost no symptoms and is found only on preventive examination by a gynecologist.

But there may be light mucous vaginal discharge, also called leucorrhea. If there is any, then hurry to the gynecologist; if the discharge has a foul odor, then most likely it is bacterial vaginitis and a gynecologist is very necessary!

Risk Group of ectopia

People of almost any age suffer from pseudo, and it is found in almost 40% of women. But with age, the number of cases decreases. In most cases, in 67% of cases, the pseudo found in women under 30 years old. 23% of the patients were between 31 and 40 years old. After 40 years, chances of getting pseudo is only 10%.

What could cause ectopia of the cervix?

The reasons are many, so be careful:

  1. Inflammatory processes (colpitis, cervicitis, endocervicitis);
  2. Early sexual relations;
  3. Injuries, such as sexual intercourse, douching or the use of sex toys;
  4. Abuse of chemical contraceptives;
  5. weak immune system;
  6. Injury inept at surveys, abortion or childbirth;
  7. Hormonal imbalance.

Is pseudo dangerous?

Because of the prevalence of erosion is not considered a serious pathology; however, is not a very serious disease that can develop into a serious illness:

  • inflammation;
  • dysplasia;
  • cancer;
  • infertility.

And because of the possible recurrence of pseudo becomes even more dangerous. So if you got rid of erosion, do not forget to be checked every six months by a gynecologist.

Therapy

Pseudo is treated by the same means as simple erosion, mainly moxibustion. If ectopic cervical area is small, it can be cured without surgery.

Prevention

Naturally – planned inspection at the gynecologist every six months. Also frequent change of sexual partners negatively affects the vaginal microflora, and thus can cause ectopia.

And of course, personal hygiene, which should always be on the first place for a woman.